I’m flying very close to my deadline (Monday!) but I’ve finished the first unresolved stitched piece.
Once the stitched and painted base had dried I decided to distress the material using the grinding tool to replicate the wear and tear on the original source garments. Ooh, I enjoyed this bit. It was far less messy than working on the paper and I loved the way you can grind away some of the colour to get texture and tonal changes.
I started to think about ‘placement’ and detail and decided to test overlaying one of my ‘stitched on paper’ designs over the bodice on the base.
Once I’d done the first bit of stitch after drawing the design on with pencil I took a black and white photograph to check there is still enough contrast to maintain interest.