I decided to base this piece on one of the collages I completed when studying the 3 pieces from the textile archive. I had used ripped pieces of a photocopy of a close up of a small darned repair on the smock shirt to make a collage of an image I had done of the smocking on the sleeve of the smock coat.
To replicate the strips and the background of the collage I printed images of the doodled on zoomed in image of the darn onto TAP (Transfer Artist paper) and silk. I used montages of the images manipulated on my ipad and an image of the back of a sample that also included the doodle images.
I layed the squares of coloured linen fabric and cut outs of the printed silk onto the base 1/2 metre of linen and after I had stitched around the squares I painted the base with Procion dye and flecks of brusho. I then pinned the strips onto the base to test the spacing.
So to replicate the acetate I printed the doodle design onto some clearish organza that I laid over the now strip layered base. I’m still kicking myself for laying the one piece down ways, it did look better that way but it grates my nerves that it’s going the same way as all of the other motifs and shapes.
To hold down the strips further and to replicate the stitches that are made into the folds of smocking I used some silk that I had previously hand dyed. I had been hoping to make these squares with machine stitch but it was far too fiddly.
And that’s the piece done, it’s not perfect and everytime I look back at me source material I can see another path that I could have followed. Already the 3 pieces look naive and I know that although I have come a long way with my design, drawing and stitch work I still have a lot to learn about interpreting concepts and ideas.