On the advice of a very dear friend I’ve ‘ploughed’ through these set of exercises and have actually discovered that I’m happy with the results. It looks like I’ve unblocked the blockage and I am again on a roll.
I decided to revisit my original observation drawings to find a design source that had a more linear pattern.
Bringing in the colour from the other source material I make some quick paintings of potential shapes for the experimental threads.
When I had been eco dyeing I had dyed some mulberry silk rods and when they were still very wet I had peeled them apart to create lovely scraps of rod. Some of which I had also added some dye from the drip dyeing experiment.
I hand stitched these together and added some embellishment. I love their delicate quality. I prefer the thread on the left, as usual I find the knots a bit too twee.
These experiments had been made with 30cm lengths of yarn and the next part of this task was to repeat the 3 experiments with 100cm lengths.
I chose this time to use my sewing machine to attach the embellishments, mostly because it would be quicker!
Originally I was going to try and needle felt some silk tops into the trapunto yarn; a very fleecy wool that is used to pad out the quilting. But this didn’t work so the sewing machine was used instead.
Again I used the mulberry silk rod scraps and now added in some silk noil and tops. Matching the colour palette to the stitched source material
The second experiment I kept more simple and this one makes me think of Africa.
The mulberry silk rod scraps were influenced by the shapes on the stitched source material and I further developed that idea for the final experiment by ripping up the fairy cake cases that I’d used to hold the dye in the drip dyeing experiment.
I stitched the dyed ripped bit of waxy paper to more trapunto yarn adding green and orange silk noil and tops to replicate the stitching.