Whilst I was happy with the crochet samples I still felt they weren’t as inventive as they could be so I decided to include some unusual materials in the knitting samples.
I started very simply by including some merino fibre tops and knitting through it with mohair threads using a variety of needle widths. The tops puff up nicely and add lots of texture.
This still was not unusual enough so I thought it might be nice to include some textured paper that I have with holes in so that the needles could be put through the wholes and then yarns could be worked into the paper.
At times this was a little scary because the paper had a tendency to seperate and the holes disappeared. The end result wasn’t as long and thin as the previous samples but it does still have a linear feel to it. I like the bright colours and at they are off set by the white paper.
Finally I found a metal bar that I had rescued from a burnt out car, it was quite cold and not on fire at the time, and with a lot of fumbling I managed to knit around the bar, again using a variety of thicknesses of yarn and some more silk that frays beautifully.
There was quite a long tail of the yellow sari silk so I found another piece of rescued metal and tied it at the bottom of the knitted area. I’m really quite pleased with this last sample, it’s unusual and has a complex but complementary mixture of textures.