Before I show you what I have done to finish this exercise I’m going to quickly mention ‘focus’. This is another of my weak points, I find it very difficult to focus and to work within self made constraints. Today I received another reminder for the submission of Assignment 4. I really am so far behind on my deadlines but once I get started on something I enjoy I find it very difficult to restrict myself. Is it the case that these ATV exercises should be done in a day? If I was attending classes is that how I would work? If I give myself deadlines I become a quivering mass of tension and anxiety, just how am I to find a balance between working swiftly and not sapping all of the fun out of what I am doing? Everyday I think about the exercise I’m working on, I reflect on it and research but I just don’t accomplish anything. Is there a habit I should cultivate to kick start me and get me going.
It has been very difficult for me to prioritise my collage work, there are 3 of us studying in my household and I’m the one studying at the highest level but I am always the first to drop what I am doing to help and support the others. They are my offspring and I naturally put them first. But, the big but is they are growing up; 22 & 16. In truth they are more independent now and it’s up to me to change my attitude and acknowledge that I am undertaking a serious piece of education and that I should give it the time and respect that it’s due. Well, after a quick cuppa and a look at the latest edition of Uppercase!
So back to business. Despite giving myself a nail infection from the grub and dust on the camera bellows I’ve really enjoyed making these linear explorations. I haven’t stuck religious to the brief and I’m really not sure that all of the pieces could be categorised as yarn, in fact I know they aren’t. I have made some in longer lengths that I believe would function well as couched yarns, I would not be able to knit or stitch with them and after reflecting on focus and deadlines I’m going to have to accept at this point that I can’t explore that avenue at the moment.
For these pieces I cut the camera bellows into strips and then used sandpaper and a file to roughen up the edges and surfaces. To emphasise these frayed edges I added gesso and some liquid watercolour. My intention was to lighten the very dark colour of the bellows.
I had a little play with the first two strips, adding some sniped mulberry cocoon and beads from a deconstructed bracelet.
This next piece brings together all of the various elements (materials) that I have gathered. There’s a piece of the burnt out car, some of the beautiful holed paper, thread from the ladies Thai blouse and a cog and some of the bellows from the camera. Yep, I know it’s not yarn but I love it anyway.
These pieces have more of the gesso and paint and are lighter. The pieces had some interesting holes which lent themselves nicely to having threads worked through them and then I added a little yellow bead from another old bracelet to add a focal point.
For the final piece I tried to keep with the idea of length and more subtle embellishment. I’m really happy with how these 3 samples and how they look together.