Art · ATV - Ex 4.5 - Collage inspired yarn · ATV - Part 4 - Yarn and Linear Exploration · ATV - Pt4 - Pj2 - Creating Linear Forms · Textiles 1: A Textiles Vocabulary

Collage Inspired Yarn – Ex4.5 – the yarns

If every excercise in Part 4 had been as much fun and as quick to do as this I would have been finished a lot earlier, but that could just be because of my change in attitude.

I started by going back to the beginning, I wanted to try out the dip dye technique again, it didn’t work so well before but I still had the tubs of dye and thought maybe I should try it again.

On each of the photos I tied a ribbon strip of sari silk and after clipping all of the photos together with small bull dog clips, I then balanced them onto a little jar of dye. 

Once the dye had soaked into the ribbon I hung them over a jar stuffed with more ribbon letting the dye drip down onto the pale fabric.

I then moved onto dyeing some threads and ribbons. I soaked my materials threads in water and lay them across the chenille sample with the ends dipped into the jars of dye.

The dye ran quickly because of the water and the thread was soon damp with colour so I put the threads in the jar stuffed with ribbon.



All the threads and ribbons then had a nice sprinkling of pale blues and greens. Very delicate and similar to the retro colours in the Instax photos.

I started by using up the remaining pieces of the camera bellows, I laid them onto a piece of dyed sari ribbon and sewed them down with dyed thread. I’m always looking for little extras that are lying around so I also caught up some bit of thread etc in the stitches. This gave me a fairly long yarn suitable for crouching. I am a little worried that they look a bit like Xmas trees, it’s really to early to be thinking of Christmas.


Alongside this blog I am also keeping a handwritten technical log which records how each of the yarns was made. To do this I print photographs of the yarns onto sticky backed photo papers. I had a small pile of outcasts from the last print run which I had ripped up ready to through away but then I thought I should use them in the designs. 

I cut the photos into circles and stuck them onto holed hand made paper back to back so I was able to make a reversible yarn.


Now it was time for me to make some yarn with the photographs, I bought all of the materials together, using the sticky backed photos to hold the yarn and elements together. This made a nice long, energetic yarn with lots of detail and texture.


I still had lots of materials left including some of the camera negative and I decided to use them as the base for a layered thread. I love the bright orange sari ribbon, it’s so bright and eye catching.

For the final piece I put together the last of the burn metal with the last few bits of the camera bellows and made a quick layered thread, well it really isn’t a thread but I like it anyway.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s