ATV – Building a Response – Develop Textile Concepts – Pt3
It’s been a while since I made these pieces but I’ve been out of sync with the blogs for this part of ATV so I’m sorry if this blog sounds a little stilted. I decided today that if I didn’t get this blog up to date then I wouldn’t be sleeping tonight.
For this batch of ideas I decided to work with a lino print, I’ve never made one before, even though I’ve had the equipment for years (typical!). I found the cutting surprisingly easy and I’ll definitely be making more.
I’m really pleased with the print that I get from the stamp, it works well on flat/smooth paper and more textured paper and I especially like it when used to make blocks of print. I’m hoping it will also work well on fabric.
Sticking with the idea of repeated prints and keeping to my black, white and yellow colour palette I started to put together some ideas. They aren’t as simple as I had originally planned but I’m not going to force myself to keep to my original guidelines if my instincts start to take me in another direction.
I used the base print and a print of one of the original textile archive photographs and added an almost transparent organza and some simple stitches.
I’m really loving these black solid shapes, they are perfect for framing and every one I cut is slightly different. This happens because although I set out with a sense of curving I’m not always sure what I’m cutting, my hand eye coordination isn’t brilliant and often I just have to run with it, letting instinct take over. I’m never going to be able to cut like Matisse!
This next piece is a much simpler composition and although the circle is an often used focal point I just felt I wanted to have a go and add one.
Eszter Bornemisza often uses a circle in her beautifully delicate and expressive pieces. It works to draw the eye into the piece exactly where she wants your journey as you view her work.
In the first 2 concepts I used screen printing paint to make the print so with the next one I chose a different medium and used Indian ink to print onto white and white acrylic paint to print onto black. These I added together and drew in some detail to test out where I might add some stitches if I was working with fabric.