This is going to be difficult to write, somehow during a quick tidy up of my art room I lost all but 3 of these yarn concepts. I’m sure they are there somewhere, probably in that safe place that I put them but then why did I find 3 just lying on the floor? It’s distressing but I’m not going to rip the place apart looking for them yet, I’m going to wait patiently and if they haven’t come back before I need to send everything off for assignment then I’ll have a good search.
So let’s get back to it. As is my usual habit I threw together a quick mind map to get some ideas for the yarns and what I could do.
I then started to sketch out some ideas for how I could make some yarn that would twist and turn so it could be couched onto fabric in undulating lines. I kept seeing those wooden snakes that you can buy in zoo gift shops.
I decided to use cocoons to create a tube that could be bent. Very creepily theses cocoons still had their little silkworm inside. More little mites. The resulting thread is cute, albeit a little fiddly but still pliable. I’ve also just found a bag of even more cocoons so I can make more later if I need to.
After this I went onto have a go at making the concertina yarns.
They really are quite nice and I particularly like the one made with the lash sari silk. They make lovely shadows.
I really can’t believe how behind I am with these blog posts. It might be quite difficult for me to remember exactly what I was doing but it might be nice to go back for consolidation before I start the capsule collection.
After making the textile concepts with the Lino prints I wanted to have a go at making some collages using some of the papers I had left lying around including the photocopies of the photographs of the vintage smocks. This feel right, as if I’m closing the circle between the original source and where my experiments and explorations have led to.
I started by layering up some papers.
Then I added some colour with liquid watercolour and a nice circular focal point.
I’m not sure if I was in a dark mood when I was building these collages, or maybe it’s these John Connolly books about Charlie Parker that I keep listening to on Audible whilst I work but I really felt a need to add lots of black using pastels and oil sticks to this collage.
I particularly like the way the pastel highlights the edges of the circle.
This next sample has gone off in a slightly different direction, it’s still abstract but there are grasses or leaves. It makes me think of underwater forests of seaweed.
And there just wasn’t enough black, I wanted lots more black! I like this composition and I like the way the photocopy works but I’m not going to make it into a sample. I’m just going to carry forward the idea of using the original images.
This final sample was a total conglomeration of all the remaining stuff, all layered with some more black.
Ooh I do love layering up papers and I thought I should stop having so much fun and add some thread so that at least I vaguely look like I’m doing my OCA work and making textile concepts!