This technique almost beat me and although I’m okay with the results, I’m not entirely sure that they met the brief. After 3 attempts I made a decision to not do any more searching for a better paper choice and to move on.
So what did I do.
First I tried the technique on brown paper but it was far too fibrous, far more than the brown paper used to wrap parcels. I just couldn’t get the folds to hold, crumples I had galore but the circles just wouldn’t appear. So, heck I added some pen to give the impression of rotation.
But most things can be rescued with a good iPhone filter.
I’d always wanted to use some Japanese calligraphy paper printed with grid lines on one of these exercises and because I’d gone in a different direct with the folding I decided to have a go at crumpling it.
This didn’t really work any better, the folds, textures and shadows are nice but my circle just forced itself back into a square.