More using up old stuff! I though I really should make another sample for this exercise so I went back to my stock of manipulated papers to have a play.
I’ve always liked this layered sheet that I attacked with a circular grinding tool, the circles are all very squiggly and random.
Without any focal point or alteration it’s pleasing to the eye. But that didn’t stop me cutting some oval leaf shapes (my ‘go to’ shape as the young people say!)
I then decided to continue with the filling the hole created by cutting the flap and added some needle punched scrim and lutrador and an interesting magazine image. Tonality the image was very flat so I started adding some dark areas with some black pigment pastel and acrylic ink.
And because this is playing and I don’t have to hold back when playing I started to add lots more colour. I layered it up until I was happy with the balancing. Even with the colour the image was still far too clean and bright and the layers weren’t sinking into each other so I scored across the surface with the side of a lollipop stick.
This little close up shows how the lines that have distressed the surface draw the shapes and the layers together. They flatten the background but do not interfere with the colour and focal points created by the images in the holes.