Art · MMT - Part 1 - Surface Distortion · MMT - Pt1 - Pj3 - Ex3 - Using Hot Water · MMT - Pt1 - Project 3 - Heating & Fusing

MMT – Pt1 – Pj3 – Ex3 – Using Hot Water – Part 2

Not deterred by my first disastrous attempt at moulding with hot water I decided to take a more restrained approach to my next foray.

I only wrapped a few items, using a nice dependable cotton thread.


I have to admit to one mistake, just to be all edgy and interesting I included a couple of oxtail bones. And yes they did make the water all sticky and fatty. It was not pleasant but luckily it did wash off … eventually.


The little pebbles in a row came out okay, the moulding was good and clear and they were nice and springy.

 The only problem was they gave me the creeps! All bubbly like the scum you sometimes see on the beach, or jellyfish – not elegantly swimming about but rotting and sickly looking on a beach after the tides gone out.

Could they be rescued with felt? I’d done some wet felting on lacy fabric to make some nuno felt.


Did it work? Did it hell. The fibres just slipped off the fabric …. could have been the bone scum! So undeterred (again) I just wrapped the blasted thing in some prefelt and rubbed until the fibres started to join. I soon got fed up with this and added some stitches to hold the whole thing together.

 

Not too bad in the end and ploughing on with the course instructions I started to draw what I’d made. This proved to be far more satisfying. Drawing is not in my comfort zone but that’s taken a bashing through out this exercise so I just went for it.

I’m actually quite pleased with the result. Keeping the bubbles white I worked at keeping the feel of contrast between the smooth, clean bubbles and the intense felt surround.


Developing this idea further I used some masking fluid to draw the bubbles onto a sheet of paper and once it had dried I painted over it with acrylic ink.


It was very wet so being impatient and not wanting to waste anything I soaked up the excess paint with one of the disaster mounded samples. 


The end result after lots of drying and rubbing of the masking fluid made me smile. I love the tones and the contrast of the void areas.


To finish the painting off I used Inktense blocks with water and a brush to darken the edges around the bubbles.


2 thoughts on “MMT – Pt1 – Pj3 – Ex3 – Using Hot Water – Part 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s