Yesterday after a day of sewing joins you’d have thought I’d had enough but I was getting very frustrated with not being able to find something that I wanted to repeat and experiment with so in the evening I did some hand stitching.
I thought it might be nice to work with some small pieces of fabric and because felt is quite solid and cuts with a smooth edge so that’s what I used.
I made a few structural pieces, the shapes don’t gel very well for me and I think they need more elements to make them work properly.
Using a feather in the joint worked better and I particularly like this first sample. The feather sinks into the felt in a very satisfying way, it looks very comfortable tucked between the 2 edges and the brighter and defined stitches keep it help there safe and secure.
The final sample also benefited from a little iPhone enhancement, the fabric was very soft and it was difficult to sew the feathers across the gap. In the end I gave up and rubbed the feathers to make them frayed and flighty. Pretty but not what I was looking for.