For the first sample I wanted to test some sewing methods of holding overlapping edges together, the results were okay but I did have to resort to brads to keep the joins secure.
The reverse ended up being quite interesting, helped along by the spotty tape.
I started by making 3 samples using a mixture of white fabrics and natural materials.
A couple of years ago I went to a talk by Ruth Isset and I was intrigued by her way of working, she often makes her pieces in white and creams using different materials and then added dye so she can enjoy the unpredictable way the colour develops on the different fabric/thread compositions.
Once I’d done this I put the samples into metal trays and added a blue procion dye. This worked well on the natural fibres but it didn’t like the synthetic fabrics at all. I would need something else.
The final samples are okay but I’m still finding it very difficult to analyse what I do in an impersonal, considered way, not here on this blog anyway. I think I’m going to have do practising in my sketchbook.