For me, getting the exercises done for this part of MMT has been done in record time, that was my intention but I’m still doubting myself and whether I have done enough.
I’ve gathered all the samples together. This time I’m submitting my assignment the proper way, I’m going to do some considered selecting and only send the very best (of what I’ve done) to my tutor.
There’s a couple of batches of little blocks strung together, lots of painted ’tiles’, some scrunchy experiments, and some resin and pasted castings. Let’s be honest this has to be enough!
There are some little interesting pieces that could be developed, the majority are ‘failures’ and that has been an interesting experiment. Don’t get me wrong I have plenty of failures but usually I can rework them or repurpose them.
Or, I’ve been working in a comfortable technique that I’ve been able to force into some semblance of effective if not wholly successful. I’ve never done something where I’ve had so little control over the finished sample. With Molding you have a little more control, you can rub away the pressing but Casting is almost totally hands off after the preparation work.
You can prepare like crazy, fill a bag or tub with lots of interesting elements but there is no guarantee that the plaster won’t totally cover the elements or the resin won’t twist or obscure the little additions that you so carefully added.
There is a pull to work harder and to test an idea again and again, changing small actions to see if I can create different results. But I’m not going to go down that path. This exercise was about sampling not resolving. I will come back to these mediums, I’ve loved the plaster of Paris and I didn’t even block the drains like I did with much embarrassment when I was a kid.
For now this is enough, I’m going to do the selecting, the displaying and the blogging and get the assignment submitted. I’m looking forward to the printing part of MMT which probably means it’s going to be the most frustrating of the lot.